Recent Posts

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Standard 2 (3)

The teacher uses comprehensive materials, technology, and resources that promotes the development of critical thinking, problem solving, and performance skills.

Incorporates multimedia and technology. Provide guided practice and supports hands-on technology application utilizing a variety of media and technologies.

I use the smartboard for daily calendar and I also use my computers each day for my students to use to read multimedia books.

I use a variety of programs on the computer including Bookflix, Pixie, Animoto, and Voicethread to help engage my students and promote critical thinking. We also complete a variety of class projects using technology.

Please check the link below for examples of technology student projects and also for examples of technology use in the classroom.
http://www.mykindergartenfriends.blogspot.com/search/label/technology

Teaches creative thinking where students create, design, imagine, and predict.
Please check the link below for some examples of students involved in the scientific process.
http://www.mykindergartenfriends.blogspot.com/search/label/science
http://www.mykindergartenfriends.blogspot.com/2011/10/what-is-scientist.html
http://www.mykindergartenfriends.blogspot.com/2011/01/investigating-and-exploring-shadows.html
http://www.mykindergartenfriends.blogspot.com/2010/10/more-science.html

Teaches research-based thinking where student explore and review different ideas, models, and solutions to problems.
I worked collaboratively with my grade level to create and establish the "Scientist of the Day" program which gave students the opportunity to complete a science experiment with their parents. This successful program encouraged a variety of idea, models, and solutions to problems.

Our class explored the role of community helpers and brainstormed different careers the kindergarteners could have when they grow up.
http://www.mykindergartenfriends.blogspot.com/2012/03/community-helpers.html

Our class also brainstormed ways we could help other people and we decided to try to collect 100 cans of food to help others in our community.
http://www.mykindergartenfriends.blogspot.com/2012/02/happy-100th-day_09.html
http://www.mykindergartenfriends.blogspot.com/2011/02/happy-100th-day.html

Provides wait time and promting/cueing to ensure student success. Calls on volunteers and non-volunteers and selects a balance of students based on ethnicity and gender. Factilitates student-generated questions that lead to further inquiry and self-directed learning. Encourages students to respond to student-generated questions that lead to student-centered discussions.

I always use individual note cards for each student and draw names at random allowing for volunteers and non-volunteers to participate as well as student of all ethnicity and gender. I also allow my students to collaborate and brainstorm different answers to real-world problems in small groups. I also use a variety of cooperative learning strategies to help students learn to work with each other.

Engages students in giving specific and appropriate feedback to one another.
Students work daily with partners in word sorts, reading comprehension, and to share their writing. They have daily opportunities to teach each other information about their sorts, share reading comprehension connections, and to receive peer feedback for their writing.